23/09/23 : Mens 6 vs Isle of Wight 2

Home - Havant College


Lost 3 - 4

Tough start to a new league

New season. New league.


We invited las seasons league winners to the college to start our season. 

The score line doesn't reflect the game at all, shared points would have fit the match than either team walking away with all 3.

The first 5 minutes, was all even, pressing attacks and scrambled defence from both sides. 

Steve in CF was forcing the IOW defence to play higher than they wanted. On 15 minutes, he was swapped for Webby, who was eager to continue last seasons scoring form. 

A great link up between the midfield 4 and our back line, broke the ball free onto Owains wing. He breezed past his counterpart and raced for the 23, winning a free hit from a poor challenge. Owain and Boppy interchanaged a few passes, before Boppy hammered in a ball to the back post right where Webby was 10 seconds before.

A bit later on, the ball found Ed on the opposite wing and after beating 3 players on his way to the D, he played a crisp reverse to Webby who took  1 touch to control the pass before hammering a ball across the mouth of the goal to set Owain up for 1 - 0. 18 mins gone. 

Less than 5 minutes later, it was 1-1, then 10 minutes more 1-2.

Martin Jones in the Havant goal, deftly controlled his defence and stood up to save a stroke that was dubious in its awarding.


Team talk consisted of Webby repeatedly begging for communication as the team were silent. Ben Miles, bringing his expertise from higher leagues, into his coaching points to bolster our confidence, highlighted where we needed to press and hold.

2nd half was more settled, returning to the ebbs and flows of the first 15 minutes.

However after 4 minutes, IOW extended their lead to 2, 1-3. Adding a 4th goal 7 minutes later, 1-4.

But Havants heads never dropped, from Ben and Webby shouting from the sideline, to the great drive of the team, we won a Penalty corner 5 minutes after IOW scored. Ben McCosh makimg his 6XI debut, flicking hard at the GK and forcing a 2nd corner, a tactics change put Owain in the shooting seat, boom 4-2.

For the next 16 minutes it was press press press from Havant with some counter attacks from IOW. Then Havant won a Penalty corner from the GK almost hitting Webby in the face with a save that had to be made.

The resulting corner, ended up with the first and second attempts winning a new corner. Ben decided enough was enough and put Webby top D with Will U on 33rd minute. The injection, though aimed for Will, went wide causing Webby to react, take a touch and hammering his shot between the keepers legs, 3-4.

The last 2 minutes were all Havant, with a few chances to share the points missed by errant passes. 

The game ended 3-4, but the game was much closer.

Now after, what is hopefully our hardest game this season, we look towards Portsmouth on Saturday in the believe that we belong in this league!

Mom - Brad Millar (shout out to Martin for keeping us in it and saving a stroke)

DoD - Peter Smith (hurting his ankle at school and missing matchweek 1)


Owain Matthews 2
James Webb 1

Man of the Match

Bradley Millar